Though the Florida Keys sees ample tourists, there’s still so much unrevealed about our area and the communities that can be found along the Florida Keys. In a previous blog post, we introduced a multitude of communities in the Florida Keys, but now we’d like to explore these communities a little bit more. Let’s start with communities, towns and neighborhoods that can be found in the Upper Keys.
Which Keys are in the Upper Keys?
The Upper Keys consist of the following keys: North Key Largo & Key Largo, Tavernier, Plantation Key, Windley Key, Islamorada, Upper Matecumbe Key, Tea Table Key, Lignumvitae.
Places In The Upper Keys
- Anglers Park – Anglers Park on Key Largo along U.S. Route 1 is right next to the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. This is a popular place for affordable vacation rentals. Given its proximity to the park, tourism is a big deal. Visitors head over to the park to see colorful coral reefs glass-bottom boat tours. Scuba diving, snorkeling, canoeing and kayaking are other tourists attractions near Anglers Park.
- Carysfort Yacht Harbor – Carysfort Yacht Harbor within the North Key Largo CDP is not far from the Crocodile Lake National Wildlife Refuge which is closed to public access except for its interpretive butterfly garden at the refuge headquarters. To get in at Croc Lake, many people volunteer to help protect this delicate ecosystem in which you’ll find habitat types including tropical hardwood hammock, mangrove forest, and salt marsh. The area helps protect eight federally listed species.
Mangrove form a natural tunnel through the waters of Crocodile Lake National Wildlife Refuge in Key Largo. pic.twitter.com/IJCdPamDnV
— Guy Harvey Resort (@GuyHarveyResort) March 17, 2016
- Dynamite Docks – Dynamite Docks is now administered by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. In this area, fishing charter businesses do well.
- Garden Cove – Garden Cove, southwest of North Key Largo CDP, is a popular kayak launch site area. See, there’s a kayak launch site where Garden Cove Road meets the ocean. If you kayak for 1.3 miles out, you’ll find a wrecked concrete barge that is very popular with snorkelers.
— Florida Keys History (@keyshistory) March 9, 2019
- Grayvik – Grayvik was once a community located in the upper Florida Keys on Key Largo. It was located where the Ocean Reef Club now lies. Tourists interested in lore find this lost community a fun thing to talk about, but it usually ends there. Ocean Reef Club is a private club community. The club’s membership is by invitation only.
- Islamorada – Islamorada spans five islands: Tea Table Key, Lower Matecumbe Key, Upper Matecumbe Key, Windley Key and Plantation Key. It’s known as the Village of Islands. Here you’ll find gems like parks, beaches, microbreweries, marinas and much more. It’s a vibrant village that thrives on tourism. It’s home to just under 3,000 households. Its neighborhoods include, Lower Matecumbe Beach, Matecumbe, Moorings Village, and Plantation Key Colony. Interestingly, the area in and around this village is the location for the Netflix series Bloodline. Revenue comes from restaurants, bars, kayak and other water sports rentals, eco-adventure tours, sports fishing and more.
— Florida Keys History (@keyshistory) March 28, 2019
- Jewfish – Jewfish on Key Largo off U.S. Route 1 just west of North Key Largo CDP has a hotel, restaurant and marina. Jewfish Creek is right next to it. The inlet is spanned by Jewfish Creek Bridge on U.S. Highway 1. You can access this community via exit ramps off of the main bridge provide.
#OTD in 1912, the Jewfish, Florida post office was opened. David Sasser was the postmaster. Postal records show its name remained as Jewfish until May 31, 1921, when it was renamed Key Largo. #floridakeys #keylargo pic.twitter.com/ErWQogBCdd
— Florida Keys History (@keyshistory) February 8, 2019
- Key Largo – Key Largo is an island in the Upper Florida Keys that connect to the mainland in Miami-Dade County by two routes. It’s the largest section of the Keys and spans 33 miles (53 km) long. The whole key is a giant fossilized reef. Here, you’ll find John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, watersport businesses, restaurants, bars, eco-adventure tours, sports fishing and more. It’s considered the Dive Capital of the World and is home to the world’s second largest artificial reef and the 510 foot USS Spiegel Grove. You’ll find multiple unincorporated communities on Key Largo not already mentioned including Newport, Rock Harbor, Sunset Point, Thompson and Tavernier.
— VISIT FLORIDA (@VISITFLORIDA) December 9, 2018
RE/MAX Keys Connection
Upscale, Comfortable Commercial Real Estate Office
The RE/MAX Keys Connection office is located in the Historic Heritage House in the heart of Old Town, conveniently located immediately nearby major downtown hotels. Our unique, cafe-style real estate office offers our valued clients a welcoming, upscale, professional environment. Enjoy complimentary beverages, free wi-fi, and a private conference room or expansive front porch, depending on the level of privacy you’re most comfortable with.
Experienced Commercial Real Estate Brokerage Company
RE/MAX Keys Connection’s owner and broker Curtis Skomp is one of South Florida’s top commercial real estate brokers. With over two decades of experience and a CCIM (Certified Commercial Investment Member) designation, Curtis has brokered commercial real estate including industrial properties, shopping centers, strip malls, trailer parks, bars, restaurants, hotels and multi-unit apartment buildings. Unlike many brokers, Curtis isn’t intimidated by bank foreclosures either.
RE/MAX Keys Connection offers clients international exposure with local service. Our service area includes Key West, Big Pine Key, Marathon, Islamorada, Key Largo, and all of unincorporated Monroe County. Our office is fluent in Spanish, which is highly important when doing business in Southern Florida.
Hot Key West Business Opportunities
Are You Looking for Commercial Property in the Florida Keys?
Use our site to search commercial real estate in Key West and all of the Florida Keys. Unlike the “big name” sites out there, our site is directly connected to our local MLS and is updated with new properties every HOUR. By creating a Property Manager account you can stay on top of the newest businesses that go up on the market and get Price Change alerts so you can stay ahead of other buyers and beat them to the best deals!
In the meantime, check out these 1-click searches:
- All Businesses for Sale
- Office Buildings
- Hotels, Motels & Bed & Breakfasts
- Bars & Restaurants
- Marinas for Sale in Key West
- Investment Properties
- Business Opportunities
Newest Key West Commercial Properties on the Market
1825 Overseas Highway MARATHON, Florida
1 Beds 2 Baths 2,796 SqFt
1100 Truman Avenue A KEY WEST, Florida
1 Baths 2,600 SqFt
57622 Overseas Hwy Highway MARATHON, Florida
8 Beds 8 Baths 3,082 SqFt
12555 Overseas Highway MARATHON, Florida
28 Beds 21 Baths 12,180 SqFt