Landlords in Florida have the most primary duty and obligation to make sure the property is available to the lessee on the date stated on the lease. They also have other duties too though. Here are a few duties that commercial lessors in Florida must follow.
The landlord has a “duty of quiet enjoyment.” This means that the landlord is the actual title owner of the property and there won’t be disturbances in the lessee’s ability to possess the property and operate their business there. The landlord also has a duty to make sure that there isn’t any improper repairs done before the tenant moves in. The landlord must make sure that there are no inherent dangers either. If there are defects on the premises that the landlord knows about, they must rectify it before the tenant moves in or the landlord could be held liable. After the lessee moves their business in and takes over complete control of the premises, the duty to keep the premises safe generally falls on the lessee, not the landlord.
Additional Florida Commercial Lessor Responsibilities
Other duties and responsibilities include the following:
- The landlord must wait at least three days in Florida to allow a tenant to pay rent or move before filing for eviction.
- Florida landlords can not charge a late fee on rent unless the rental agreement specifies that there is a late fee and how much it is.
- Florida landlords can’t discriminate against tenants.
- Landlords in Florida can’t use a rent increase in retaliation against the tenant for exercising a legal right.
- Florida landlords must follow Florida rules about security deposits.
- Landlords in Florida have to follow disclosure regulations.
3428 Roosevelt Boulevard N 1,2,3,4,5,6 KEY WEST, Florida
7 Baths 8,046 SqFt
Upscale, Comfortable Commercial Real Estate Office
The RE/MAX Keys Connection office is located in the Historic Heritage House in the heart of Old Town, conveniently located immediately nearby major downtown hotels. Our unique, cafe-style real estate office offers our valued clients a welcoming, upscale, professional environment. Enjoy complimentary beverages, free wi-fi, and a private conference room or expansive front porch, depending on the level of privacy you’re most comfortable with.
- Florida Keys Bars & Restaurants For Sale
- Business Opportunities in the Florida Keys
- Investment Properties in the Florida Keys
- Marinas For Sale in Florida
- Hotels/Bed & Breakfasts For Sale In Florida
- Multi-Unit Commercial Properties For Sale in the Keys
Experienced Commercial Real Estate Brokerage Company
RE/MAX Keys Connection’s owner and broker Curtis Skomp is one of South Florida’s top commercial real estate brokers. With over two decades of experience and a CCIM (Certified Commercial Investment Member) designation, Curtis has brokered commercial real estate including industrial properties, shopping centers, strip malls, trailer parks, bars, restaurants, hotels and multi-unit apartment buildings. Unlike many brokers, Curtis isn’t intimidated by bank foreclosures either.
RE/MAX Keys Connection offers clients international exposure with local service. Our service area includes Key West, Big Pine Key, Marathon, Islamorada, Key Largo, and all of unincorporated Monroe County. Our office is fluent in Spanish, which is highly important when doing business in Southern Florida.