This series of blog posts features the communities, villages, cities and keys in the Florida Keys archipelago, because, there’s still so much unrevealed about our area. In the first blog post in this series, we introduced a multitude of communities in the Florida Keys. In the second post in the series, we looked more closely at specific communities in the Upper Keys and specific communities in the Middle Keys. Now, we’ll take a closer look at specific communities in the Lower Keys, and area rich with history, culture and wildlife.
Which Keys are in the Lower Keys?
The Lower Keys consist of Bahia Honda Key, Big Coppitt, Big Pine Key, Big Torch Key, Boca Chica Key, Cudjoe Key, East Rockland Key, Fleming Key, Geiger Key, Key West, Knockemdown Key, Little Duck Key, Little Torch Key, Lower Sugarloaf Key, Middle Torch Key, Missouri Key, Money Key, No Name Key, Ohio Key, Park Key, Pigeon Key, Racoon Key, Ramrod Key, Rockland Key, Saddlebuch Key, Scout Key (Summerland Key), Shark Key, Sisgbee Park, Spanish Harbor, Stock Island, Sugarloaf Key, Summerland Key, Sunset Key, Sunshine Key and Wisteria Island.
Places in the Lower Keys
- Bay Point – Bay Point, in the Saddlebunch Keys near mile marker 15, is east of Big Coppitt Key and Shark Key, but west of Sugarloaf Shores. It has fewer than 500 residents. You’ll find homes, a county park, and two stores.
- Big Coppitt Key – Big Coppitt Key is between East Rockland Key and the Saddlebunch Keys. You’ll find several businesses on Big Coppitt Key, plus a Monroe County Fire/Rescue Station, three parks, three churches, a cemetary, and the world-famous Bobalu’s Southern Cafe.
- Big Pine Key -Big Pine Key is a community on the island of the same name. People vacation in Big Pine Key for a low-key getaway full of boating, fishing, kayaking, scuba diving and snorkeling and to enjoy some of the nations best seafood!
- Big Munson Island– Big Munson Island is a private island owned by the Boy Scouts of America.
- Boca Chica Key – Boca Chica Key is an island in the lower Florida Keys, about a mile east of the island of Key West. The key is mostly covered by salt marshes and mangrove trees. Tourists come to get a glimpse of the largest Naval Air Station in south Florida located here.
- Cudjoe Key – Cudjoe Key is a small community on the island of the same name and it is now often called “Hurricane Irma’s ground zero.” It was originally named Littleton Island.
- Key Haven – Key Haven is a suburb of Key West on Raccoon Key. Tourists like to head down to the end of Driftwood Drive to get a glimpse at the home that was the location of The Real World Key West, which appeared in 2006.
- Key West – Key West is an island and a city in the Straits of Florida. It’s at the southernmost end of U.S. Route 1. It’s is the southernmost city in the contiguous United States. Key West is the westernmost island that is actually connected by a highway in the Florida Keys. Key West relies heavily on tourism. Through its history, it’s also brought in revenue from fishing and turtling. In the middle of last century, sponge harvesting was a huge industry. In the 1800s, Key West was the location of a cigar company and even salt production through harvesting sea salt from receding tidal pools. Tourists sometimes head down to Duval Street to check out Victorian-style mansions and then engage in the Duval Pub Crawl. The area is rich with history that tourists also enjoy in addition to water sports like kayaking, snorkeling and diving.
— Florida Keys History (@keyshistory) October 5, 2018
- Little Torch Key – Little Torch Key is an island in the Lower Keys where divers are able to check out the nearby incredible corals of Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary. Lucky vacationers can stay at the exclusive resort, Little Palm Island, which is found just offshore from Little Torch Key. Other resorts are also capable of providing pretty outstanding luxury though. There’s not many businesses here, but it’s a great place for tourists who don’t mind staying outside of Key West and then driving in. One of its claims to fame is that former U.S. President Harry S. Truman loved to head to Little Torch Key to fish.
- Munson Island – Little Munson Island is an island just off Big Munson Island and is only accessible by boat.
- Perky – Perky is a ghost town on Lower Sugarloaf Key near mile marker 17 on U.S. Route 1. It’s the location of the Perky Bat Town. That was made to house 1,000 bats. The bats were imported from New Jersey to eat all of the mosquitoes. That was the plan anyway. Yet, when the hero bats were released, they simply flew away and never came back.
Perky’s bat tower was completed in 1929 and fitted with a plaque that read, “Dedicated to good health at Perky, Fla., by Mr. and Mrs. R.C. Perky, March 15, 1929.” #flkeys #lowerkeys pic.twitter.com/gRx3Mh9UBM
— Florida Keys History (@keyshistory) March 15, 2019
- Ramrod Key – Ramrod Key is an island. It was originally named, “Roberts Island.” It’s a popular destination for tourists mostly because of its convenient location. You’ll find food and lodging, a gas station and groceries along with some other local businesses. In all though, there’s not that many businesses on Ramrod Key.
- Stock Island – Stock Island is a CDP and unincorporated community on an island of the same name. It’s home to Florida Keys Community College. This area is more residentially oriented instead of geared towards tourists.
- Sugar Loaf Key – Sugarloaf Key is a single island that forms a loop on the Atlantic Ocean. That makes it look like two separate islands. Here you’ll find the ghost town of Perky, Sugarloaf Shores, and Pirates Cove.
- Summerland Key – Summerland Key is an island about 20 miles east of Key West and a community with the same name is on this key. Here, you’ll find an airstrip off West Shore Drive. This key is also the location of one of the first homes built on stilts in the keys.
RE/MAX Keys Connection
Upscale, Comfortable Commercial Real Estate Office
The RE/MAX Keys Connection office is located in the Historic Heritage House in the heart of Old Town, conveniently located immediately nearby major downtown hotels. Our unique, cafe-style real estate office offers our valued clients a welcoming, upscale, professional environment. Enjoy complimentary beverages, free wi-fi, and a private conference room or expansive front porch, depending on the level of privacy you’re most comfortable with.
Experienced Commercial Real Estate Brokerage Company
RE/MAX Keys Connection’s owner and broker Curtis Skomp is one of South Florida’s top commercial real estate brokers. With over two decades of experience and a CCIM (Certified Commercial Investment Member) designation, Curtis has brokered commercial real estate including industrial properties, shopping centers, strip malls, trailer parks, bars, restaurants, hotels and multi-unit apartment buildings. Unlike many brokers, Curtis isn’t intimidated by bank foreclosures either.
RE/MAX Keys Connection offers clients international exposure with local service. Our service area includes Key West, Big Pine Key, Marathon, Islamorada, Key Largo, and all of unincorporated Monroe County. Our office is fluent in Spanish, which is highly important when doing business in Southern Florida.
Hot Key West Business Opportunities
Are You Looking for Commercial Property in the Florida Keys?
Use our site to search commercial real estate in Key West and all of the Florida Keys. Unlike the “big name” sites out there, our site is directly connected to our local MLS and is updated with new properties every HOUR. By creating a Property Manager account you can stay on top of the newest businesses that go up on the market and get Price Change alerts so you can stay ahead of other buyers and beat them to the best deals!
In the meantime, check out these 1-click searches:
- All Businesses for Sale
- Office Buildings
- Hotels, Motels & Bed & Breakfasts
- Bars & Restaurants
- Marinas for Sale in Key West
- Investment Properties
- Business Opportunities
Newest Key West Commercial Properties on the Market
603 Southard Street KEY WEST, Florida
6 Beds 7 Baths 2,870 SqFt
605 Simonton Street A KEY WEST, Florida
1 Baths 850 SqFt
99353 Overseas Highway 14 KEY LARGO, Florida
1 Baths 12,112 SqFt
105-A Fitzpatrick Street KEY WEST, Florida
1 Baths 13,632 SqFt